Do Not Despise Prophecy: New Testament Prophecy 4 - Summary
Topic: Sermons Passage: 1 Thessalonians 5:19–5:22
Five summary points for what prophecy is in the New Covenant era:
1. Prophecy continues today as a viable tool for building up the church. It did not cease with the apostolic era.
2. Prophecy is by nature spontaneous or unplanned revelation from God, distinguishing it from preaching and teaching.
3. Prophecy's purpose is to warn, console, exhort, encourage, or convict of sin.
4. All members of the New Covenant community should desire to prophecy and all may be given the gift of prophecy if the Spirit wills.
5. The congregation is to test every alleged prophecy by the word of God.
More in 1 Thessalonians
January 3, 2016Paul's Closing Prayer for Holiness in Light of the Second Coming
September 27, 2015Do Not Despise Prophecy: New Testament Prophecy 3 (1 Corinthians 14)
September 20, 2015Do Not Despise Prophecy: New Testament Prophecy 2 (1 Corinthians 12-13)