Peter, an Apostle of Jesus Christ
Topic: Sermons Passage: 1 Peter :1–1, Mark 3:13–3:19, 2 Peter 3:1–3:2, 1 Corinthians 2:12–2:13, 1 Thessalonians 4:8
Peter wrote this letter for the church scattered to bear up under suffering and persecution by the encouragement of the gospel, as a rock in the ocean being struck repeatedly by incessant waves.
- Authorship: Peter. Anything else is speculation against the evidence.
- Recipients: Elect Diaspora-mix of gentile and Jewish believers
- Date: Probably 60s, during Nero’s reign
- Peter’s Life: full of Gaffes and Graces
The mark of a righteous man is not perfection but the ability to get up after repeated failures. Peter has experienced the faithfulness, love, and forgiveness of Christ.
- Name: Peter’s birth name is Simon, but Jesus names him Cephas/Peter at his first encounter.
The twelve Apostles were an unrepeatable group, with authority from Jesus himself, by His Holy Spirit, to speak, teach, and write the words of God. OT Prophets and NT Apostles claimed the authority of the Lord in their words, teachings, and writings. We must listen to & actually obey this word of God (Jam 1:22).
More in 1 Peter: Following Jesus as Exiles
September 6, 2020The Spirit’s Sanctification Unto Obedience and Sprinkling
August 23, 2020Aliens, Elect Exiles